Metamorphoses 2014

Metamorphoses 2014
Métamorphoses (original title)
1h 42min | Fantasy | 3 September 2014 (France)
Storyline:
A girl is approached by a strange boy outside her high school. He asks her to follow him to hear stories where gods fall in love with human beings.
User review:
Seen by your reviewer at the 2014 London Film Festival, 'Métamorphoses' transplants Ovid's 'Metamorphoses' to modern-day, working-class France (for those unfamiliar with Ovid – I'm not sure I'd ever heard of him – he was a poet from ancient Rome). A group of Roman deities wander the countryside meddling in human affairs – meddling that generally involves nudity and livestock.
I can't make up my mind whether or not I like this film; I will say it was engrossing. Despite the 'flashbacks within flashbacks within flashbacks' structure, writer/director Christophe Honoré manages to keep the storyline, such as it is, flowing neatly and the viewer does not get confused about where he is in the narrative.

No comments:

Post a Comment